Selecting Glass Type

Follow through the steps below to find glass for your stove or fireplace

If you need help finding the correct type of glass for your stove or fireplace, please follow through the questions below or give us a call and our knowledgeable support team will help you.

1st: Do you have a fireplace or a wood stove?

If you know the answer to that question then move on down. If you're not sure then let's take a look at each one.

Most fireplaces have 2 or more doors on the front. As for wood stoves, they typically have just one door. Most wood stoves seal at the door with a fire-gasket, a fiberglass material that makes an air tight seal when the door is closed.  There are wood stoves that have two doors also but they will have a rope gasket seal.   

There are also fireplace inserts, which are similar to wood stoves that slide into a masonry fireplace. The idea of an insert is to make the old fireplace as efficient as possible while still providing a beautiful view of the fire. So, an air tight, efficient, firebox is slid into or "inserted" into your existing fireplace.

2nd: What kind of glass is currently in your wood stove or fireplace?

We are going to assume that the original manufacturer glass is in the unit. When the original glass broke, did it break in a million little pieces or did it break in larger "chunks" of glass?

If the glass broke in a million pieces then it is tempered glass. Tempered glass is typically found in fireplaces, and should NEVER, EVER be used as wood stove replacement glass.

If the glass just cracked, or broke out in bigger chunks then it is known as a glass-ceramic. These products are commonly known as PyroCeram® (not Pyroceran), Robax or Neoceram - just different brand names for the same type of product. On this site we use the term PyroCeram®. The product we sell on this site, PyroCeram®, is made by Corning. The thickness of Pyroceram is 3/16", the most commonly used type of glass for Wood stove replacement glass.  This glass also comes in a 1/8" thickness, but that is usually used in smaller space heaters.  (PyroCeramic Glass - NeoCeramic Glass, are commonly used terms)

If the glass is paper thin and flexible, not very common any more, but is in some really old wood stove units, then it is called Mica or isinglass.

3rd: What kind of heat does your wood stove or fireplace put out?

Is it a gas unit, using natural gas or propane? A wood burner that is just for looks? Or an air tight wood burner that produces over 600 degrees?

If it is a gas unit, then it typically uses tempered glass. Although gas units do put out heat, the top end of the heat against the glass is less than 400 degrees. The tempered glass in these units is usually of a clear tint.

If you have a masonry fireplace, a fireplace built in the home with brick and mortar, they can have a set of fireplace doors applied to the opening. These types of fireplaces are not very efficient and do not generate heat much higher than 400 degrees, at least not for any extended period of time. The glass in these types of door systems are typically tempered.

If you have an air tight wood stove or insert. These units can generate up to 1200 degrees and are very efficient. The glass in these units must be Pyroceram. Using any other type of glass will cause the glass to fail and could cause a home fire. Pyroceram glass has an amber tint in color.

If you have a high efficiency fireplace. This is a fire place that is not air tight, but has an adjustable damper that allows you to control and slow down the fire to burn more efficiently and generate more heat. These units generally supply heat in the 600-1000 degree temperature range and need to use Pyroceram glass.

4th: Are you looking for glass in a pellet stove?

If you have a pellet stove, you will want to use ceramic glass.

Last: Not sure about the above information?

If you're not sure about any of the above, there are still a couple of ways to find out. Look in your owner's manual. It should tell you what type of glass was supplied.

Contact the company that you got the fireplace or wood stove from. They should be aware of the different types glass and can advise you. Or just send us an Email and give us as much information as you can. Brand name, size, wood or gas, and take a picture and attach it. We have seen most of the types out there and should be able to tell you what you need.

Still not sure? Then replace it with Pyroceram. This will cover all the bases. It is able to be used in all the applications that we have covered. Order Here. Hopefully this answers your question "where can I find wood stove glass", or "where can I find fireplace glass". Wood stove replacement glass can be a complicated subject, so don't be afraid to contact us and ask for help. That's what we are here for!